According to statistics, one of the most common diagnoses in Aktobe is ARI or SARS, which, in fact, is the same. Under these letters is hidden the most common cold, which everyone faces several times a year in one form or another.
Despite the fact that this disease is not considered dangerous, you should not be negligent in its treatment. If you find the first symptoms of ARI, you should contact an experienced doctor for timely advice and correct medical appointments. Self-treatment can lead to undesirable complications, delayed recovery, as well as more unpleasant course of the disease in General.
- What is ARI: basic information for the patient
- The main causes of acute respiratory infections
- Reason to see a doctor: symptoms of ARI
- Diagnosis and treatment of ARI
- Prevention of ARI: the simple secrets of good health
- What kind of doctor treats acute infections?
What is ARI: basic information for the patient
The abbreviation ARI means “acute respiratory disease”. In this case, we are not talking about any particular disease, but about a whole group of infections transmitted by airborne droplets. Viruses and bacteria, as well as mycoplasmas and some other pathogens can cause ARI. At the same time, they can affect all the respiratory organs, starting with the nasopharynx and ending with the lungs.
Unfortunately, no one is immune from ARI and it is impossible to completely protect yourself from infection. On average, adults suffer from respiratory diseases up to four times a year, and children – up to nine. People who work or study in large groups are at risk. It should also be noted the seasonality of ARI — more often the disease occurs in the autumn-winter period.
The main causes of acute respiratory infections
In order for a person to become ill with an acute respiratory disease, an appropriate pathogen, such as a virus or a bacterium, must enter his body. Often the immune system copes with such microorganisms and does not allow them to develop. However, sometimes the immune system is too weak to protect against infection, which leads to a certain disease. There may be several reasons for this:
- insufficient content of vitamins and trace elements in the human body;
- stress, overstrain;
- negative environmental factors, such as dust or gas contamination of the territory, the presence of fungus in the premises, etc.;
- chronic disease.
Also indirectly affect the development of acute respiratory infections can be insufficient humidity in the room, allergic reactions in the body and non-compliance with personal hygiene rules.
Reason to see a doctor: symptoms of ARI
When an infection enters the respiratory tract, and the immune system is too weak to eliminate it, pathological microorganisms begin their life activity in the human body. On average, the incubation period lasts from one to three days, after which you can feel the first symptoms of ARI. These include the following features:
- nasal congestion;
- clear discharge from the nose;
- dryness in the throat;
- sore throat.
After a short time, the discharge from the nasal cavity becomes yellow or green shades, there is a headache. Elevated temperature in the light course of the disease may not be manifested. In more serious cases, it rises and can reach 39 degrees, which also causes aches in the body, fever.
In order to avoid complications from acute respiratory infections, it is recommended to consult a doctor at the first symptoms. In this case, the duration of the disease is significantly reduced, and the symptoms appear in a lighter form. Untimely referral to a specialist for acute respiratory infections can lead to more serious diseases, such as neuritis, bronchitis, tracheitis, etc.
Diagnosis and treatment of ARI
Determine ARI in the patient can be at the initial examination of the throat and upper respiratory tract. Additional diagnostic methods may also be prescribed, such as blood and urine tests, swabs from the throat, chest x-ray, etc. Medication will be selected on an individual basis, depending on the stage of the disease and medical indications. These can be broad-acting antiviral drugs, antibiotics, etc.
It is also possible to allocate General recommendations for patients with ARI:
- To drink more fluids. It is necessary for more intensive intoxication of the body. For this purpose, ordinary water, any juices and fruit drinks, tea, herbal decoctions, etc. for the best effect, it is better to add lemon and honey to the drink.
- Bring down the temperature only above 38 degrees. Up to this point, it is not recommended to take any action, since lower indicators do not have negative consequences for the body. At the same time, the increase in temperature is a natural means of fighting the body against the virus.
- To stay in bed. Here it is important not so much to stay in bed, but rather to limit visits to public places and contacts with other people. This will protect others from infection, as well as protect the patient from additional infections and exacerbation of symptoms.
Prevention of acute respiratory infections: the simple secrets of good health
To protect yourself as much as possible from ARI, follow the following recommendations:
- treat all chronic diseases until complete recovery;
- dress warmly-do not allow hypothermia;
- avoid stress — they negatively affect the immune system;
- stick to an active lifestyle to strengthen the body’s protective functions;
- increase the amount of vitamins and minerals in seasons of high risk of ARI;
- do not neglect the rules of personal hygiene;
- give up bad habits;
- after walking in the fresh air, wash the nasal cavity and rinse the throat with an antibacterial solution.
What kind of doctor treats acute infections?
In the treatment of ARI, it is very important to correctly identify the pathogen of the disease. The effectiveness of the prescribed drugs directly depends on this. Of course, the most accurate results are provided by laboratory tests. However, many of them will have to wait longer than the disease itself lasts. Thus, it is most advisable to get an appointment with an experienced doctor who will be able to determine the nature of the disease during the initial examination.
With symptoms of ARI, you can contact a therapist, pediatrician or otolaryngologist. Sometimes you may also need to consult an immunologist or pulmonologist to make a more accurate diagnosis.
To get professional advice and effective treatment of acute respiratory infections in Aktobe, you can contact the medical center “BIOS”. We employ specialists with many years of experience in medicine, including ENT and pediatricians of high qualification. Make an appointment at the first symptoms of ARI, and we will help you cope with the disease in a few days!