Acute pharyngitis belongs to a group of respiratory diseases. Its symptoms are easily confused with many other subspecies of ARI. However, complications from pharyngitis are among the most dangerous in this category. That is why it is important to consult an experienced specialist in time to get the correct diagnosis and effective appointments. With timely treatment, pharyngitis passes in just a few days without any consequences for the body.
- Acute pharyngitis: features of the disease
- First symptoms of acute pharyngitis
- Timely diagnosis is the key to successful treatment!
- Treatment of acute pharyngitis: main doctor’s appointments
- Prevention of acute pharyngitis: stay healthy!
- What kind of doctor treats strep throat?
Acute pharyngitis: features of the disease
Acute pharyngitis is characterized by the presence of inflammation in the pharynx, which also affects the lymphoid tissue. The cause of its appearance are various infections that enter the body by airborne droplets. Infection is possible during periods of weakened immunity, for example, due to lack of vitamins, the influence of environmental factors, stressful situations, etc.
Among the pathogens of acute pharyngitis, the following infectious agents can be noted:
- viruses (rhinovirus, parainfluenza, coronavirus, influenza viruses, herpes, Coxsackie, HIV, etc.);
- fungi (for example, Candida);
- pathogenic microorganisms (pneumococcus, staphylococci, Hemophilus Bacillus, etc.;
- chlamydia, gonococci.
Pharyngitis with multiple sources of infection, such as viral-fungal or viral-bacterial, is also possible. For their treatment, combined therapy is used.
Sometimes the causes of acute pharyngitis in adults and children are physical or chemical injuries to the pharynx. Also, the disease can cause an allergic reaction.
First symptoms of acute pharyngitis
Treatment of acute pharyngitis, it is recommended to start at the first symptoms of the disease. Untimely appeal to the doctor or for a long period of absence of medical intervention may lead to serious complications. So, pharyngitis can flow into a chronic form. In addition, the inflammatory process can develop on other organs and tissues. To determine the acute stage of pharyngitis in adults, you can use the following signs:
- dryness and scratching in the throat, irritation of the pharyngeal mucosa (it hurts “ ” scratches”);
- sore throat, which increases when swallowing;
- dry cough, which also increases the pain in the throat;
- swelling of the Palatine arches and the back wall of the pharynx;
- inflammation of the lymphoid tissue, the presence of mucous or purulent plaque on it;
- pain in the auditory passages;
- enlargement of lymph nodes in the neck and back of the head, under the jaw;
- tenderness of the lymph nodes when touched;
- elevated temperature;
- General ailments: weakness, headache, etc.
In the absence of treatment, the listed symptoms may include inflammation of the upper respiratory tract and auditory passages, the appearance of purulent abscesses, angina, etc.
Timely diagnosis is the key to successful treatment!
Medicine knows many varieties of acute pharyngitis, each of which has its own characteristics and requires individual treatment. In order for the doctor’s appointments to be as effective as possible, he needs to determine the cause of the infection, that is, the infectious agent. Often this can be done without additional tests, guided by the patient’s symptoms.
|Type of infection||Symptoms|
|Rhinovirus||Severe runny nose, minor sore throat|
|Streptococcus||Noticeable swelling of the pharyngeal mucosa, spread of inflammation to the tongue, tonsils and Palatine arches|
|Adenovirus||Severe pain in the throat, purulent angina, conjunctivitis|
|Herpes||Rash on the lips and in the oral cavity, stomatitis|
|Coxsackie Virus||Rashes on the back of the throat in the form of bubbles, severe pain in the throat|
It is worth remembering that the symptoms of acute pharyngitis largely coincide with the signs of other diseases, such as laryngitis or tonsillitis. That is why a doctor’s appointment necessarily begins with an analysis of the patient’s complaints. The inspection is carried out using a special tool in good light. Urine and blood tests, a swab from the throat, and endoscopic examinations can also be prescribed.
Sometimes doctors make mixed diagnoses, because the inflammation spreads to several zones, or the cause of the disease is several infectious agents at once.
Given all these features of acute pharyngitis, it is not recommended to engage in self-diagnosis and try to establish the form of the disease without the help of specialists. This can lead to the transition of the disease into a chronic form.
Treatment of acute pharyngitis: main doctor’s appointments
Only an experienced doctor can prescribe medications for treatment after examination and receiving the results of tests. However, some recommendations are appropriate for all patients with acute pharyngitis:
- To eliminate the factors that irritating the mucous membranes of the pharynx. We are talking about spicy, salty and sour food. You should also avoid too hot and cold food and drink. During the treatment of the disease, you can not smoke or drink alcohol, stay in smoke-filled rooms, overextend the vocal cords.
- Purify food. Solid foods can injure an inflamed pharynx, which will lead to additional complications. It should be excluded from the diet of crackers, nuts, seeds, etc., but also softer products before use is better to grind.
- Drink plenty of fluids (1.5-2l per day). Unsweetened juices, fruit drinks or compotes are best. Also recommended are decoctions of rose hips or chamomile, warm tea.
- Gargle. To speed up the recovery process, this procedure should be performed at least 3 times a day. As a solution, you can use pharmaceutical preparations, or decoctions of chamomile, calendula, mint. More important is the number of rinses, not the composition of the product used.
- Exclude physical activity. Patients with acute pharyngitis are put on bed rest.
Medication is prescribed to reduce inflammation and swelling, eliminate allergic reactions,and directly fight the pathogen. Anti-inflammatory and antiseptic agents (tablets for resorption, sprays, inhalations, powders and cough syrups), painkillers, antipyretic and antiviral drugs, and antibiotics can be prescribed.
In acute pharyngitis, combined medications are often prescribed that have an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect. they can be in the form of sprays or aerosols. With a lighter course of the disease, you can do with tablets or lozenges. Also, inhalations have a positive effect at any stage of the disease. However, before using a particular inhalation method, you should consult your doctor.
Prevention of acute pharyngitis: stay healthy!
Acute pharyngitis, like other infectious diseases, is dangerous only during periods of weakened immunity. The rest of the time, the body copes with pathogenic organisms, and additional treatment is not required. Thus, to protect yourself from pharyngitis, you need to strengthen the immune system. To do this, follow these recommendations:
- Eat right, walk, take daily walks in the fresh air, avoid stressful situations, take additional complexes of vitamins and trace elements.
- Temper. It is proved that hardening significantly strengthens the immune system and reduces the likelihood of infection with respiratory diseases. However, you should consult your doctor before using a particular technique.
- Do not neglect the rules of hygiene. In order to protect yourself from pathogens, you must wash your hands after visiting public places, before eating, etc.It is also recommended to carry a decontaminating spray and use it during the day.
It is especially difficult to protect the body from infection if one of the family members is ill with acute pharyngitis. In this case, experts recommend using special fabric masks. Also, the attending physician can prescribe a preventive course of treatment for relatives.
What kind of doctor treats strep throat?
When the first signs of acute pharyngitis appear, you should contact an otolaryngologist. You can make an appointment directly, or through a therapist. Other specialists may be required after the examination and initial analysis. For example, in some cases, you need to consult an immunologist or gastroenterologist.
If you need an otolaryngologist in Aktobe, we recommend that you contact our specialists. Our medical center has all the necessary tools and equipment for conducting tests for acute pharyngitis. The staff of our center will determine the form of the disease and prescribe you effective treatment on an outpatient basis.